Pages

Monday 25 July 2011

Dragging Me Down


Today's song from my gym playlist is one I usually skip because the tempo is too slow and being dragged down is the opposite effect I want to get from my workouts. But I haven't slept well recently due to travel for work and work-stress and today I went to the gym expecting an easy time but actually I struggled quite a lot due to being knackered. It was a drag (badum-tish).

I've settled on a 10k plan for my next 10k - I'm going to do Hal Higdon's 10-K Training: Intermediate. It's an 8-week plan that incorporates some basic upper body strength training which shouldn't result in straining my core, some speed workouts, and some long slow runs. It looks like it's the right intensity for what I want to achieve plus I will hopefully be able to go through it twice before the race in November. I will also be doing some yoga. I can't join a class because I can't find any near to me which are at a convenient time and location so I'm on the look out for a good yoga DVD or podcast. At the moment I'm sticking with a very basic one by Chaz Rough called Yoga for Runners.

I did the first session of the training plan - a 3 mile run and strength - today and the run was difficult when it shouldn't have been, mainly due to being tired and not doing much running last week. Although maybe I shouldn't beat myself up too much because I ran two hard races last week and my body did need to rest.

I've subscribed to a couple of running podcasts as well recently - the best being RunRunLive2.0. There's always interesting interviews and useful tips. Even if I'm nowhere near as fit or accomplished a runner as the guests I find their stories inspiring. Some of the tips I can use now, and others I'm keeping in mind for when I'm a better runner.

Do you subscribe to any running, fitness or health podcasts?

2 comments:

  1. I've never tried podcasts before, but I've heard quite a lot of good things.
    Tiredness makes a huge difference to how I feel when I exercise. Sometimes exercise is invigorating, but sometimes I just need a rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're good - I usually listen to them while commuting to work or walking to the gym (it's a 10 minute drive or a 40-minute walk and somehow driving to the gym just seems WRONG) and I find they're a good way of finding out more about exercise even if I don't immediately apply everything I cover.
    I also listen to Two Fit Chicks and a Microphone which focuses more on blogging and fitness.

    ReplyDelete