Pages

Wednesday 31 August 2011

Hadrian's Wall



I visited another friend in Haltwhistle, Northumberland, last week. We went for a walk along Hadrian's Wall from Once Brewed to Housesteads Roman Fort and back. It was a blustery late summer day, and the weather was markedly different to the October storm when I first visited when I was 15. The area kept its bleak beauty, and I have to admit I enjoyed it best when it was bitterly cold with a biting wind and horizontal rain. We borrowed a dog.

I thoroughly recommend borrowing a dog for enhancing any walking experience.

For enhancing any experience, really.


We passed Sycamore Gap, which is known locally as Robin Hood's Tree, and was used for a scene in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.
Sycamore Gap looking in the direction of Once Brewed.
Crag Lough
We also passed a lake known as Crag Lough, where the dog got excited and spent a mad five minutes running in circles through the long grass along the shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment