Pages

Sunday 26 August 2012

The Sea






There are some activities that you try out one day because you've always kind of wanted to do it but just never got round to it.  So you go down for a taster session, hand over a bit of cash, and discover a new love.

 I tried surfing today for the first time ever.  I wanted to treat myself at the end because I have now completed the two-week Phase 1 stage of the Low Carb Vegetarian Diet.  I grew up by the sea near a surfing hotspot but I have never tried surfing when I was younger because I always felt too fat to get in a wetsuit.  Somehow a wearing wetsuit makes me feel more self-conscious than wearing a swimming costume or even a bikini.  I am still fat, but now I am less self-conscious.

We had a brief lesson on how to get on the surfboard and safety in the water (STAY AWAY FROM THE RIPTIDES), then walked our boards down to the sea.  And the first time I walked into the sea the waves looked a hell of a lot bigger than they did from the shore.  The North Sea was icy cold around my feet and I swear I felt ice-cubes swirling around my feet.  The thought of jumping on the board and trying to catch a wave was daunting.

I took a few goes to drum up the courage, then spotted a good-looking wave, turned the board around so I was facing the beach, waited until the wave was 3 metres away from me, then clambered on with no grace whatsoever.  The first time the wave propelled me towards the beach was exhilarating.  I'm hooked.

I'm also exhausted.

This week
Running 5m
Workouts: 2 workouts and one body pump session
Surfing: 2 hours

Next week's exercise
Monday: Workout and 30 min swim
Tuesday: Workout and 4x400m IW
Wednesday: 3 mile run
Thursday: Workout and 30 min tempo
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 4m run (and surfing if there's a class on)
Sunday: 30 min easy, body pump. (if there's a surf class on I'll skip the body pump and head to the beach instead)

1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to try surfing, good for you giving it ago! I don't think I'd be brave enough to go in the freezing North Sea!

    ReplyDelete